Oxford dictionary defines a bucket list as A number of experiences or achievements that a person hopes to have or accomplish during their lifetime. Sounds inspiring doesn’t it? Do you have a bucket list? If not, are you motivated to start one?
Bucket lists can often include big, exotic items with far away travel destinations or adrenaline pumping experiences that you need to build up to or save for; so how about starting with an attainable list of Chicago bucket list items?
OK, let’s get you started. Dedicate a notebook or journal for your bucket list creation. You can even download one of the many bucket list apps now available or start a file on your laptop, phone or other favorite electronic device. Regardless of the where and how, start a list of things that you would like to do – this year, the next five years –whatever makes sense with your goals. You can list all of the amazing things you have already done in Chicago to feel accomplished right out of the gate and by proxy burn these great experiences to long term memory.
There are so many incredible places to visit and things to do within the grasp of the city’s boundaries, that they can often be overlooked because they are so accessible.
Here is a list of 10 bucket list things to do in Chicago. Summer is around the corner and it is perfect time to check many of these Chicago destination experiences off your list!
- Visit Willis Tower Skydeck. Every day, people drive into the city, walk from the train or look at an iconic city panoramic on the local news, and the recognizable Willis, or Sears as many still refer to it, stands tall and proud as one of the most recognizable pieces of Chicago’s skyline. When was the last time, if ever, that you went up into the Tower? Step out onto the Skydeck today and experience an unbelievable view of up to 4 states!
- Go to 360 Chicago which is located on the 94th floor of the John Hancock Building. Like Willis Tower, this is an iconic part of our beautiful cityscape in Chicago. You can visit the 360 Chicago Observation Deck to experience one of the best views in the city, either on its own, or pair it with an exciting “ride” on the Tilt and lean out into the city for an unmatched thrill experience and a completely unique perspective of the city.
- Spend a night at a museum. In 2006, the Night At The Museum trilogy began by taking us into the secret after dark antics of the American Museum of Natural History, opening our imaginations to what perhaps plays out after hours at this spectacular keeper of history. Did you know that Chicago offers overnight experiences at many of its very own museums? Take on the adventure with an overnight at the Field Museum’s Dozin’ With the Dinos , the Museum of Science and Industry’s Science Snoozeum or even the Shedd Aquarium’s Asleep With The Fishes.
- Go shopping. Visitors travel from all corners of the globe to experience the amazing shopping in the city of Chicago. When was the last time you headed into the city, for no other reason than to just shop? The Magnificent Mile offers access to world famous retailers, flagship stores and Chicago boutiques, as does Water Tower Place. Browse the displays in Nike, Burberry, The American Girl Store and countless others for an experience that goes beyond just a regular day at the mall. Incorporate a Chicago restaurant on your bucket list for a delicious lunch break and a double list check off!
- Immerse yourself in the culture that made Chicago a great melting pot. Chicago offers many great cultural experiences just blocks from the Loop. Neighborhoods such as Greektown, Chinatown, Little Italy and many more include restaurants, shopping and festivals offering tastes and wares from around the world.
- Spend the night in the city. Plan a staycation in Chicago and spend the night in one of Chicago’s many hotel rooms. The variety of big brands and boutique hotels is unmatched. Let Choose Chicago, Chicago’s official visitors’ bureau, help you find the perfect room for you!
- Ride the Ferris Wheel. The Centennial Wheel at Navy Pier features enclosed gondolas, where you can enjoy the unique views of the Chicago skyline. The Wheel boasts 360-degree views of the city from heights of nearly 200 feet.
- View the city from sea, land and air. Chicago’s spectacular skyline and architecture offer unique perspectives from however you choose to view the sights. Vertiport Chicago VIP Helicopter Tours is Chicago’s premier helicopter tour company and has a variety of helicopter experiences for whatever type of adventure you are up for, including a Doors-Off Photo Flight for the ultimate photo opportunity and the Chicago Pilot Experience, which allows you to take control of the helicopter while in flight!
- Go to a play. Chicago’s theatre district includes an array of beautiful, historic theatres featuring amazing productions from all genres. Whether it’s the long running Broadway hit Hamilton playing at the CIBC Theatre, the Tony Award-winning musical Chicago at the historic Cadillac Palace Theatre, or any of the other myriad of featured shows, you will not be disappointed. Visit Broadway in Chicago for current productions, locations and tickets.
- See a sporting event. Over the years, Chicago has been fortunate to play home to Championship teams in a number of professional sports – the Chicago Bears, Bulls, Cubs or White Sox Baseball, Blackhawks – as well as many minor league and college teams. Come to a game at one of the city’s historic stadiums and experience the love of the game up close and personal. Tickets and schedules can be viewed at Ticketmaster.
Chicago offers all of this and so much more. Start your bucket list today and experience all that Chicago has to offer!